The period between the last week of August and the first week of September marks moving season [for students] in Boston, as evidenced by the U-Haul trucks lining the streets on September 1. In fact, according to the Boston Globe, about 2,000 U-Haul trucks are on the road in Boston during Labor Day weekend. This is when you realize that Boston is just a big college town, where every fall, students bring a new energy and vitality to the city.
Thanks to its strong educational demographics and world-renowned teaching institutions, Boston is the epicenter of education. It’s the ideal city to gather targeted attendees, exhibitors and speakers associated with the field of education, and find expert speakers in any number of professional fields.
According to the Boston Planning and Development Agency, in 2016 there were more than 138,000 undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the 29 colleges located in the city, making up 20% of its population. Of these, the top three colleges based on student enrollment were Northeastern University (33,000), Boston University (28,000), and Boston College (14,000). In addition, there are 16,000 students attending Boston’s two community colleges, Bunker Hill Community College and Roxbury Community College.
Education in Boston by the numbers:
- Massachusetts is home to 121 institutions of higher education
- Over 50 colleges and universities with over 250,000 total students, are located in the Greater Boston Area
- In the Boston-Cambridge-Newton metro area, 44.8% of the population has bachelor’s degrees
- Boston has more international students than any major city including New York.
Boston has a rich history of hosting a wide variety education conferences. The following education-related groups are scheduled to meet in Boston over the next 12 months:
- ACPA-College Student Educators
- MA Distributive Education Clubs of America
- Massachusetts Teachers Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- The MBA Tour Winter Conference
Learn more Wicked Good Reasons to bring your event to Boston in the Boston section of our website. Our education industry profile fact sheet is located in the Meeting Planner Toolkit, or contact us today for more information on Boston’s education advantages!